Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Current Event #6

I could not believe the surrent event I wrote for class this week! Just yesterday, a Senator from Alaska named Ted Stevens was found guilty on seven felony counts. However, the senator will most likely face a less severe penalty. This seems unfair, I think the charges should be worse because he is a Senator. The wealthy and powerful get away with too much because they can afford to pay for the best. Senator Stevens is one of the most powerful Republican’s in Congress, and he was convicted of “lying of financial disclosure forms to conceal his receipt of gifts and expensive renovations to his house.” Stevens was not only the first convicted, but also the first U.S. senator to go on trial in more than twenty years. Despite his recent activity in court, Senator Stevens “vowed to fight for reelection to a seventh full term.” His name will remain on the ballot, giving him a shot at remaining in political power. I think it is ridiculous that a man guilty of felony should be allowed to run for political office. If this doe not prove what is wrong with our political system, I don't know what does. In presidential news, Sarah Palin decided not to endorse Stevens, but still said, “I’m confident Senator Stevens will do what’s right for the people of Alaska.” I can not be sure, but that sounds a little like endorsement to me.

If you want to read it, it is on washingtonpost.com here, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/27/AR2008102700289.html?wpisrc=newsletter

1 comment:

Chris Rodas said...

I also agree with how unfair it is that he will get a less severe penalty even though he was found guilty of felony charges. I also think that its unfair that they are letting his name on the ballot.